Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Step in the Right Direction....

After a week of waiting I finally got an answer to what I'm doing for income this summer. I was told that the position at Jawanio was no longer available because the girl who had said she was taking the summer off decided to stay. I actually anticipated an answer like this...not that the position was no longer available, but I got the feeling that I wouldn't be working for Jawanio in a classroom setting.

As soon as I got off the phone I made a call to Huntington, where I've previously worked as a tutor. I was immediately put back on their schedule starting July 6th. Although this wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, I also know that this is exactly the place where God wants me to be working this summer.

I left Huntington for a few reasons back in October. One of them was the fact that I never had a set schedule. This is the very nature of the business - I could work 2 hours a week or I could work 20. Sometimes I start out being scheduled for 20 and only end up working 10. Other weeks I start out with 2 hrs of scheduled time and end up working 10 hrs. Steady income, tutoring is not. Some of the other drawbacks were a payraise freeze, being left in charge of the entire building on short notice, and always being asked to do extra things, like run meetings, without any sort of compensation.

Some of the perks of working there included having an extremely flexible schedule, being respected by those who worked there, and sometimes actually working in a stress-free environment. In case you're wondering - those days are usually not the same ones where I suddenly find myself in charge or the building. Another perk is continuing to build a relationship with my boss Krista.

Last summer I got to know Krista a little better. I learned that she would like to go back to church, that she actually lives across the street from the church I'm a member of, and that she knows a few of my friends at church (it's a very small world). Since I left Huntington, I've lost contact with Krista, so I'm thankful for the opportunity to reconnect.

There are still a lot of questions I have unanswered as to what direction the rest of my life is going on. I'm just thankful that I have additional income this summer, which hopefully means that I'll be financially stable for the next two months. After that, I have no idea. Fortunately God does and that gives me a great sense of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment