Sunday, June 20, 2010

Memories


In honor of my Grandma's 90th birthday I wrote her a poem. I honestly didn't know what else to get her as a gift. It's probably not the best writing ever, but it does come from my heart.


Memories


I remember sleepovers

sheer white curtains blowing in the back bedroom

violets on the plant stand.


I remember family get togethers

playing with my cousins in the backyard

while the adults sat around and chatted.


I remember Christmas Eves

the plays, the singing, the Norwegian desserts

singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus

opening and playing with our presents.


I remember Sundays

you always sat in the second left side pew

afterwards we'd walk you and Grandpa to the corner

listening to the discussions you'd have with my Dad.


I remember you always being there

graduations, concerts, recitals, award ceremonies

always proud of my accomplishments.


I remember sporadic visits to your house

I always knew I was welcomed

and you always had a snack.


I remember laundry on the clothesline

books by the couch, games in the closet,

laughter in the air.


Thank you for all the wonderful memories you gave me.

Have a wonderful 90th birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment