Monday, May 17, 2010

An amazing e-mail

I didn't go to see my mom for various reasons on Mother's Day. Instead, I went to see her this past weekend. In addition to seeing my mom I also got a chance to see my aunt (mom's sister), who was visiting from London. My mom and my aunt don't really get along - or I should say my mom doesn't get along with my aunt - so these times tend to be, um, stressful to say the least. In addition, there was a get together of my dad's side of the family on Sunday and the wedding of my brother's ex-girlfriend.

Not that we went to the wedding, mind you. Steven's break-up with her was not far off from a complicated divorce case involving malicious slander. Of course he met her at church, which just made for really interesting politics all around. He has since moved to the DC area and my mom has yet to get over the event (which was like 5 years ago). My mom's favorite hobby is stalking his ex via internet. Although one time she did pay me to drive pass her parents' new house. The things I do for coffee and some extra cash.

Anyway, all that to say that when I talked to my mom the day before leaving she was stressed out and not in a very good mood. I was dreading going down and walking into this mess. So, I do the only thing I can do in these situations. I ask my friends to pray for the time I spend with my relatives.

I honestly wasn't sure how I left things, but this was the e-mail I received today from my aunt:

I just wanted to say it was good to see you. Thank you for the insight into your mom. I really found it very helpful to know that it's not just me and think that may just help our relationship going forward. I am flying out tonight (if the volcano and the winds cooperate!) so I left your mom a card with a note inside to say thank you for all she does and a ps that she looks great. She called to say thank you and was crying. I didn't want to make her cry but it was good to know I wasn't in trouble for it!

Thanks again. You are a clever girl! Please let me know how things go job-wise and if I can ever do anything for you please say so.

Lots of love
Ellen

All I can say is WOW - and yes, it brought tears to my eyes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment