Thursday, April 12, 2012

Trying to Stay Focused

Today I caught myself anticipating the future.  For those of you who don't know, Ray lost his job about a month ago.  About a week and a half ago an opportunity presented itself for a job to open up managing the buildings and grounds at an apartment complex in the area.  Now, although Ray doesn't have any paid experience in this particular field, he enjoys working with his hands and improving the conditions of buildings and grounds (hence the elaborate kitchen remodel awhile back).  Fortunately the person he interviewed with is someone that Ray knows - definitely a benefit in these situations.  Ray passed the mechanical/tool test he was given with flying colors and his name has been passed on with a high recommendation to the supervisors of the complex.  Hopefully he'll get hired sometime next week.  Oh....did I tell you that a benefit of this job is that after 3 months he'll be offered a free apartment with utilies included?  Nice, right?   There's also the strong possibility of taking on a supervisory position after 6 months, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...... :)

Anyway, the possibility of a steady income lures me into fantasizing and wondering if maybe, just maybe, there'll be enough money to purchase a ring and perhaps this time next year I could be either planning a wedding or possibly even starting the process of moving into his apartment (after we're married of course).   Just when I start picturing what I hope may be reality, I'm reminded to STOP.

Because I need to live and focus on the present.

I'm not saying that I'm not hopeful, but I need to be careful not to get caught up in the fantasy because things don't tend to go exactly as I plan and God's timing has never really matched up with my timing. The job may fall through or finances may be needed for things other than a symbolic piece of jewelry.  Today, however, I'm choosing to trust God and His timing because even if things don't turn out the way I anticipate, God is still good and He knows my needs and desires even better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment