Monday, April 23, 2012

Cover Letters

Tis the season....the resume and cover letter season that is!  It seems that school districts advertise numerous job postings during the months of April and May.  There's a website that I go on which allows me to click on a specific job and upload my resume and job specific cover letter to them.  Although the cover letter is optional, it is much better to include it.  Not that this has landed me an "actual" teaching job (it is my opinion that I do actually teach, I just don't receive the salary or benefits....oh, and I don't have to do lesson plans or conferences).  Normally the process is one in which I do my best to put a coherent and personal letter together in the midst of my crazy schedule - you know, somewhere around midnight after I've been working 10-12 hours.  Reminds me of college except that I never get to see my grades.

This week, however, I'm attempting something a little different.  The district in which I currently work for is looking for a reading teacher with prior professional development experience.  I possess the credentials, minus the experience part.  The teacher I work with is highly supportive of me applying for the position.  I have already expressed interest in the position to my principal, but at the time the position wasn't listed as available.  The position was recently listed on the website and my job this week is to not only apply, but to write a cover letter that conveys my current strengths/skills for this particular position to the superintendant.  Considering that I'm not entirely sure that I'm capable of doing this job ("Hi, my name is Carol and I'm a pessimist.") this task seems quite daunting.  So....if you think of it, please pray for the right words to write and time in which to write this.

As a side note: In case you're wondering about Ray's job situation, I wish I had an answer. There has been some unexpected delays.  Hey, no news is good news, right?  Regardless of the answer, I know that God knows our hearts and dreams better than even we do and that He ALWAYS has our best interests at stake.  He can also make the seemingly impossible possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment