Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A New Year with New Experiences

Happy New Year everyone!

Today is my first official snow day from school, so I thought I'd take some time and write what's been going on in my life. I guess I should start with how I spent the holidays. This year was very different than other years. For one thing, Christmas was on a Saturday. For another we were forecasted to have a blizzard the day after Christmas. My parents and I decided not to spend the break in San Antonio visiting family, however because of the blizzard we also decided not to get together as a family this year. My brother stayed in the DC area and I stayed up here. I spent Christmas Eve rather sick - bad migraine - but I was able to get out for Christmas Eve service at my church and later dinner with friends. I had Christmas dinner at a friend's house and then spent the night at another friend's house watching movies. The blizzard came shortly after church the next day so I spent that day cleaning.

The rest of the week was spent with a friend from upstate NY who stayed with me. I also hung out with some other friends as well as spent some time watching Jeremy. For New Year's Eve I helped a friend host a New Year's Eve party which was alot of fun. I sort of learned how to play Mao (card game with rules that you have to figure out as you go along....I hated it at first, but by the end I enjoyed it) and for my birthday I got to hang out with my friend Cathy who was in the area.

I did see my family New Year's Eve during the afternoon. They came up with presents and then took me out to a restaurant. I got to pick the restaurant and chose Stir Crazy - which meant that my mom got to try a new experience. She did quite well with it. She ordered chicken teriyaki and said it was very good.

I've also been trying some new things. With my birthday money I purchased a curling iron and have been experimenting with it. I've always been afraid of curling irons because I feared burning myself. It is definitely one of those things I went to do AFTER coffee...and yet I still get some interesting hair styles :). It's a work in progress, but I've only slightly burned myself twice, so I consider it somewhat successful. The other new activity I've tried is sledding.

Now I realize that most people have been sledding numerous times, but since I grew up in the city sledding wasn't really a big activity. We did live on a hill, but that ended at a busy street, so it wasn't very conducive to sledding down. I've seen pictures of my dad pulling me on a sled when I was about 3 years old, but that's where the pictures stop. I went snow tubing in college, which resulted in a broken/sprained wrist....so, yeah, I was sort of traumatized by the whole concept on sledding.

The first time I went down I screamed (though apparantly no one heard me). I went down several times after that in order to overcome the fear of flying down a snow covered hill. I was able to stop myself from screaming and at the end the experience became less terrifying, and maybe even fun - though believe me, I'm hardly ready to admit that fact to most people yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment