Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The First Week

I'm actually really glad that the first week of school was only 2 days. I know that probably sounds selfish on some level because after all most people have to work 5 days, but I felt like the 2 days I did work lasted the equivalent of 5.

The first day of school I woke up not feeling great. It was rather unnerving to realize that going back to work immediately brought on migraine symptoms. I decided to take an imitrex while the pain wasn't too bad instead of waiting until I was at school, dealing with children and trying to deal with the pain. Unfortunately taking the imitrex resulted in my having to lie down for a while and skip breakfast. By the time I actually got to school I was feeling better, but still not great.

The classroom I'm in has 12 students. Four of those were kindergarteners who were only there 1/2 days (full day starts next week). That was a good thing because it's a whole new experience for them. Most 5-yr olds need time to adjust to school routines, but autistic kindergarteners need extra time. Everything is new and exciting which means that they get overstimulated. Tantrums quickly erupt as they realize that they cannot play with their new favorite toy for the entire day.

In addition to 4 kindergarteners we also have 6 1st graders who come the entire day. One of whom is nonverbal. On the plus side these children already know the classroom and the routine. They still don't react well to change however. After several transitions, one of my students actually bit me on the arm. He's a nonverbal student and so he communicates displeasure by biting. He didn't break the skin, but I have to say that my arm is still quite sore from that experience.

There isn't any "down" time in this classroom, which I find one of the hardest adjustments I've had to personally make. Last year I was used to coming in, working with some students while drinking my morning coffee or tea, sitting at circle time and monitoring the kids, etc. There is no time for morning coffee in this classroom, in fact it might actually pose a danger as I am constantly having to move about the classroom - guiding children to what they are supposed to be doing, disciplining them constantly, and holding them during their tantrums - or away from me should I sense a child trying to bite me. I do get a 45 min lunch break, for which I am extremely thankful for.

The 2nd day went smoother thankfully. This had more to do with the fact that my job for the morning was to observe one of our 1st grade students in a regular classroom in order to determine if he needs a one on one aide. Although he definitely needs one, the process to make that an actuality will take much longer than anyone would like I believe. That being said, the task of observing this student was far less taxing than being in the classroom. I did spend the afternoon in the classroom with all of the students minus the kindergarteners, but I left not feeling nearly as exhausted as the 1st day.

I was asked today if my job brought "life to me". At the moment I would say that it's more draining than life-giving, but I also know that this is also a new experience for me. It's not that I hate my job, because I don't, but at the moment I'm still in "survival mode". I'm sure once I adapt to this new routine I will have a much clearer perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment