Friday, July 8, 2011

Things I've Learned from Moving

I've moved many times over the years.  Seven moves in nine years to be precise (after college).  These last two moves, however, were by far the hardest emotionally.  Perhaps this was due to the fact that I didn't really WANT to move, but whatever the reason, here is a top ten list of things I learned about moving these past two months.

1) Realistically I only use maybe 20% of what I own on a daily basis.
2) I need to label boxes more specifically.  Looking through 5 boxes marked KITCHEN and finding the item I need in the LAST box I open isn't very helpful.
3) Moving is always far more time consuming and exhausting than I anticipate.
4) I need to take pictures BEFORE I move all of my stuff in.
5) Measuring the hallway width would have been beneficial.  If I had done that first I would have realized that my couch would never be able fit before moving day.
6) If my friends are less than enthusiastic about my new apartment I will have an emotional breakdown by the end of the night.
7) Don't agree to watch other people's pets during the moving process.  It is quite likely that I will completely forget this new responsibility and end up feeding the cats at 11pm (after my emotional breakdown).
8) Learn to take things one day at a time.  I can only do so much in any given day.  Eventually the chaos will become a distant memory.
9) Moving is stressful on a dating relationship.
10) Birds chirping right outside my window at 5:30am are noisier than a freight train.

No comments:

Post a Comment